MUMBAI: The death toll in the building collapse incident in south Mumbai's congested Dongri area has gone up to fourteen.
The rescue-and-search operations for those trapped under the debris continued throughout the night and were still on.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced a compensation of Rs five lakh for the kin of those killed in the incident and Rs 50,000 for the injured persons.
"All the medical expenses of the injured will be borne by the Government of Maharashtra," the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) said.
"So far, 14 people- seven men, four women and three children have lost their lives. Nine others were injured, they are being provided medical treatment," National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) spokesperson Sachidanand Gawde said.
The official said his team members were told about the presence of a few customers at an eatery on the ground floor of the building when the incident happened but no one was sure of the exact number.
Notably, the structure that collapsed was an illegal extension of the Kesarbai building, located on Tandel Street in Dongri, the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) said.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) earlier claimed that the building was owned by MHADA.
However, MHADA, in a statement on Tuesday said the structure was illegally constructed behind the Kesarbai building.
On Tuesday, State Housing Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil visited the site and said the building was owned by a private body and that it was illegal.
With inputs from PTI